Monday, July 9, 2012

Court releases Mishomoroni terror suspect

Mr. Athman Salim leaves the Mombasa court chambers after he had been set free for lack of evidence. Photo / Laban Walloga

Mr. Athman Salim leaves the Mombasa court chambers after he had been set free for lack of evidence. Photo / Laban Walloga 

By PHILIP MUYANGA [email protected]

A Mombasa court on Monday released a man arrested in connection with the grenade attack at Jericho Beer Garden in Mishomoroni.

Mombasa Principal Magistrate S K Gacheru released Mr Athuman Salim Kassim after the prosecution said police had no evidence to link him to the attack.

“After investigations police found no evidence linking the accused to the act, consequently we apply for the accused to be released,” chief inspector Alex Wasike prosecuting, told the court.

Mr Kassim, 23 did not object to the application by the prosecution after being asked by the court if he understood what was being said.

Speaking to journalists immediately after he was released, Mr Kassim, dressed in a checked shirt and a navy blue trouser, maintained his innocence.

“I was not involved at all, I was listening to music when the incident occurred,” said Mr Kassim adding that he felt happy to be released.

Mr Kassim, a casual labourer at construction sites, said he had been held at Nyali police station for the last ten days.

Mr Kassim seemed to be walking with difficulty. He said he was still feeling pain on his arm and leg.

He is from Kaloleni in Kilifi County and had been admitted at the Coast General Hospital with leg and hand injuries. (READ: Man arrested over attack at drinking den)

He was arrested after failing to explain what he was doing around Jericho Beer Garden in Mishomoroni when the blast went off.

The court had on June 27 allowed an application by the police to remand the suspect in custody for ten days for further interrogation.

In their application, they said were investigating a case of murder and according to an affidavit by Chief Inspector Luka Tumbo attached to the provincial police headquarters he had information that the suspect was connected to the offence.

Three people died and over twenty others were injured in the blast at Jericho Beer Garden that targeted revellers and soccer enthusiasts who were watching a Euro 2012 soccer match between England and Italy on June 24, 2012.

Mr Kassim’s relatives who were at the court expressed joy that their kin had finally been released.

advertisement