Firearms recovered in Tana crackdown
Posted Sunday, October 21 2012 at 11:39
- 19 guns recovered in Tana River County
Nineteen guns have been recovered in the ongoing disarmament operation to recover illegal firearms in Tana River County. Read (MPs, envoy and church leader named in Tana chaos)
County Commissioner Mr Joseph Rotich said 17 guns were recovered in the North Tana region by Saturday while the Tana Delta District Commissioner Mr David Kiprop said two guns had been surrendered to his office at Minjila by the Orma community on Mashujaa Day.
“Despite recovering 17 guns, the eight firearms stolen from nine police officers who were killed at Kilelengwani on September 10 are still in the hands of the wrong people,” said Mr Rotich.
He said the recovery of the firearms was a major step towards disarming militia men in the region and a boost to security.
Mr Rotich said criminals still possessed more firearms especially in the Tana North region between Hola and Bura adding that the crackdown was ongoing.
He made the remarks when he addressed the public during Mashujaa Day at Hola Stadium in Hola where he called on all those in possession of illegal firearms to surrender them to chiefs or to the police.
On the operation conducted by General Service Unit (GSU) in Tana Delta, Mr Rotich said it was being conducted professionally and denying allegations by area residents that it was brutal.
“The operation is as humane as it could be. Nobody should complain about it because our security officers are actually considerate,” he said.
Residents have complained that the GSU officers are using excessive force.
He warned the Mombasa Republican Council (MRC) members that its mission to secede would not succeed as the government would crush it.
“MRC should learn from the North Frontier agitators of secession and the Sabaot Land Defense Force, how they were crushed, and forget about their ambition to secede,” he said.
He assured residents that the voter registration exercise set for next month would go on as adequate security would be provided.
He said close to 2,000 youths alleged to have taken oath last month in the area were being investigated to prevent them from committing any crimes.