Nairobi blast victims recount ordeal
With a heavily bandaged forehead and left hand, Mr John Mwangi writhed in pain as he attempted to move his injured legs at the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH), Nairobi.
An hour earlier, he had been lifted up and thrown off the verandah of Assanands House on Nairobi's Moi Avenue.
Mr Mwangi, from Gachie, was one of the 36 people who were treated at various hospitals following the blast which Police Commissioner Matthew Iteere said could have been caused by an improvised explosive device.
KNH took in 30 victims, Nairobi Hospital attended to four, Meridian Medical Centre treated one as did Savannah Medical Centre.
KNH acting director Thomas Mutie said of the 30 who were taken to the hospital by emergency services, four sustained serious injuries.
One had a fractured hand, two were seriously burnt while the fourth victim sustained deep cuts.
“Four victims sustained serious injuries and the doctors are attending to them now. One is in the theatre, two have been moved to the Burns Unit ,” he said at the KNH.
Dr Mutie said the burns could have been caused by electrical fire, stating that there were no signs to link the injuries to either a grenade or bomb attack.
“The burns look like they were caused by an electrical fire. There are no indications that they could have been caused by a grenade or bomb. Some of the victims have glass shrapnels,” he said.
Most of those who were treated were discharged from hospital. Dr Mutie said the explosion, whatever the cause, could not be compared to other major cases that the hospital has had to deal with in the past.
“To us is not a major event; so far there are no deaths. The disaster management team quickly put in place measures to handle it,” he said.
Kenya Red Cross paramedics who rushed the injured to the hospital said most of the victims were in shock owing to the strength of the explosion.
Mr Mwangi, speaking with a lot of pain, said he was walking past the Assanands House when the explosion occurred.
“I was walking past the building I heard a loud explosion. I tried to run by I was thrown off. I have cuts on my face, hands and the legs,” he said.
For Ms Rachel Mwangi, it was normal day at her stall at the Assanands House. Suddenly, she heard a blast from one of the neighbouring stalls.
She was stuck in the building and was rescued by Kenya Red Cross personnel.