Police wrap up ‘Saitoti son’ probe
Posted Thursday, January 10 2013 at 21:30
What couple have alleged in the case:
- That their son Stephen Wachira was born on September 21, 1985.
- He disappeared from their house at Subukia on August 31 1988.
- That they recognised Zachary Musengi Saitoti as their lost son after watching him on TV during Prof Saitoti’s burial.
Investigation into claims by a couple in Nakuru that former Internal Security Minister George Saitoti’s son is their lost child is almost complete, a court heard on Thursday.
State Counsel Mungai Warui told Justice Isaac Lenaola that detectives had taken statements from the alleged parents of Zachary Musengi Saitoti as well as Prof Saitoti’s family.
“Police have done quite some investigations, they have taken statements from the families, but are requesting for additional 30 days to conclude the findings,” Mr Warui said.
Judge Lenaola allowed the request and extended orders barring the couple from proceeding with a case they filed at the magistrate’s court in Nakuru seeking leave to prosecute Mrs Margaret Saitoti on claims of stealing their child.
He set the hearing for February 18.
Mr Sebastian Ngunju and his wife Elizabeth Njeri filed the case last November claiming, Mr Zachary Musengi Saitoti was their third-born child.
They accused Mrs Saitoti of keeping their son allegedly stolen from their Subukia home 24 years ago.
Unable to pursue
Mr Ngunju claimed that his son was born Stephen Wachira and was kidnapped three days to his third birthday by a woman who was later arrested, charged and acquitted by a Nairobi court, and that he had been unable to pursue the matter after receiving threats over the issue.
However, Mrs Saitoti and Mr Musengi responded through a petition in the High Court accusing the couple of having ulterior motives of diverting public attention from the then ongoing commission of inquiry into the helicopter crash that killed Prof Saitoti.
Mr Musengi launched scathing attacks on the couple, branding them fraudsters and pranksters out to extort money from his family, and that the character of Mr Ngunju was like that of a poor movie script, which could not bear any scrutiny.
He said that it was despicable that a total stranger could claim paternity to a child on the basis of a picture on TV, notwithstanding he last saw the child at the age of three.
Mr Musengi reiterated that he could not be Mr Nguju’s stolen son whose date of birth is indicated as September 21, 1985 since he was born in September 8, 1983.
Mrs Saitoti swore that the application by Mr Ngunju was a callous and vicious effort to seek improper advantage of her and her family.
Judge Lenaola then issued orders stopping the magistrate’s court in Nakuru from proceeding with the case filed by Mr Ngunju until the petition by the Saitoti family is heard and determined.
Soon after, Director of Public Prosecution Keriako Tobiko directed police to investigate allegations of the Nakuru couple and the mystery surrounding the loss of their son.