Former Internal Security Minister George Saitoti’s family has complained about delays in securing the wreckage of a helicopter which crashed in Ngong killing the minister and five others.
The Saitoti family’s lawyer, Mr Fred Ngatia, on Tuesday protested the delays in mapping out the scene and removal of the wreckage from the crash site citing possible deterioration of the exhibits, besides increasing the cost of retaining two experts they had brought in from South Africa.
Family members met chief investigator George Mc’Owenga on Monday and expressed their disappointment with the pace of the investigations.
Sixteen days after the crash at Kibiku in Ngong Forest, which killed Prof Saitoti, his assistant Orwa Ojode and four police officers, the government has not found a place to secure the wreckage.
On Tuesday, the probe team visited the scene for mapping but could not take the metals, citing further consultations among concerned ministries.
Mr Mac’Owenga said that the ministry of Internal Security and that of Defence had not yet agreed on where to keep the wreckage.
The scene was mapped out on Tuesday, The experts marked the general area of the incident, identified the centre of reference, and marked the scattered metals.
The experts checked all the parts that were strewn at scene, even scooping the soil to extract what could have been buried underneath.
The team was supposed to do the mapping out on Friday and remove the exhibit the following day .
Mr Mc’Owenga blamed the delays on bureaucracy involving the logistics.
Mr Ngatia said that he would seek a formal session with the team today to register their concerns.
“Our main concern is the quality of investigation and the cost of retaining these experts here,” he said.
Last week, Justice Rawal suggested that the wreckage be kept at a secure location with the Kenya Airforce and the key be retained with her but by yesterday no decision had been arrived at.