Education minister Mutula Kilonzo has threatened to sack board of governors of schools that go against his directive banning holiday tuition.
He also warned teachers taking part in the banned tuition that they faced disciplinary action .
“Tomorrow (Tuesday) we will dissolve the board of any school that will go against the ministry’s policy.
"I have already told the permanent secretary (about this move). We are monitoring schools throughout the country,” said the minister, adding that he would ask the Teachers Service Commission to discipline disobedient teachers.
Last week, Mr Kilonzo banned August holiday tuition in primary and secondary schools. (READ: Kilonzo issues tuition warning)
The minister also called on teachers to withdraw their strike threat, saying their concerns would be addressed by the Teachers Service Commission when the TSC Bill, which was recently adopted by Parliament, becomes law.
Parliament adopted the Bill last week and now awaits President Kibaki’s assent to become law.
The proposed law transforms the commission, which was a part of the ministry, to an independent body with substantial powers.
The minister also said he was ready to ensure teachers’ concerns were addressed. On the strike threat, the minister said that his hands were tied by the Constitution.
He said he was not in a position to implement the agreement entered by teachers and then minister for Education Joseph Kamotho.
“ The Constitution does not allow me to do that. Their concerns should be heard at the Employment and Relations Court,” he stated.
In North Rift, thousands of students who had opened for holiday tuition returned home as schools sought to comply with the government ban on private coaching.
Private schools in the region cashed in on the ban by enrolling students and hiring teachers from public schools to offer holiday tuition.
Reported by Jeremiah Kiplangat, Brian Yonga and Philip Bwayo