Free learning cash held up at Treasury, says minister
Posted Wednesday, June 20 2012 at 22:30
The Treasury “embarrassed” the Education ministry by failing to release Sh7 billion free learning cash, an assistant minister protested on Wednesday.
The Treasury was still holding onto the money, putting them (Education ministry) in an awkward position with school heads, Prof Ayiecho Olweny said.
Prof Olweny said the Education ministry had met with Knut officials and convinced them to put on hold their planned strike.
“We have done our best, but we are wondering why they have not released the funds,” he said as he handed over laboratory equipment to more than 350 schools at Nile Road Secondary School in Nairobi.
Two weeks ago, Finance minister Njeru Githae and Education minister Mutula Kilonzo promised to release Sh1.85 billion and Sh5.15 billion to primary and secondary schools, respectively.
Their announcement averted a strike which had been called by Knut. But yesterday, Knut chairman Wilson Sossion said the Treasury had betrayed Kenyans.
Mr Sossion said headteachers were expected to attend their annual conference in Mombasa next week but could not leave their institutions without funds.