Don’t try us, Metito warns Coast group
Posted Friday, October 5 2012 at 23:30
- Leaders call for swoop on violent gang that killed four people at the Mtwapa rally even as group’s spokesman disowns the youthsLeaders call for swoop on violent gang that killed four people at the Mtwapa rally even as group’s spokesman disowns the youths
The government on Friday sent a strong warning to Mombasa Republican Council that it will no longer condone its criminal activities.
Internal Security Minister Katoo ole Metito said they would ‘deal firmly’ with such criminal groupings that undermined the safety and security of Kenyans.
He accused MRC of planning to disrupt the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education and Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examinations.
The group was also interfering in recruitment of election clerks, the minister said.
“I would like to send out a strong warning that the government will not condone the criminal activities of MRC,” said the minister on Friday. “I have therefore directed all security agencies to deal firmly and decisively with any militia group in the country.”
Mr ole Metito spoke just a day after a gang of youths said to be from the group attacked a meeting addressed by Fisheries Minister Amason Kingi at Mtwapa, Kilifi County, killing four people, including the minister’s bodyguard.
Earlier, acting civil service head Francis Kimemia said the government would deal firmly with the group for threatening security.
On Friday, officials from the MRC defended themselves against accusations that they were involved in the attack.
MRC spokesman Mohamed Rashid Mraja, said the gang had no links with MRC but were individuals hired to commit the crime and have it blamed on the group.
The group’s frantic denials came as families of the two men identified as part of the gang that attacked the minister, and who were among three who were lynched shortly afterwards by an angry mob, expressed disbelief at the turn of events and started making burial arrangements.
The two were identified as Mr Sammy Matano, a 26-year-old standard two dropout who was a boda boda (motorcycle) operator, and Mr Omar Kufuja, 26, a caretaker at a home in Nyali Estate, Mombasa.
Former Industrial Court judge Stewart Madzayo, who is aspiring for Kilifi Senate seat, was injured in the attack.
Members of their families who spoke to journalists denied knowledge of the two men’s involvement in militia activities, including membership of MRC, and insisted that only investigations would help unearth the truth about their kin.
Police said on Friday they had launched investigations into the two attacks in Mtwapa and another in Kaloleni where 15 people were killed two weeks ago.
Coast provincial police boss Aggrey Adoli said security personnel and investigators had been deployed in the two areas.
“We are investigating the perpetrators of the two cases. We shall not relent in our investigation until we arrest and bring to book those involved,” Mr Adoli told the Saturday Nation, adding that no arrests had been made.