Waiguru to vie for Nairobi governorship

She said she was ready to face other Jubilee contestants for the ticket.

Monday February 15 2016

Former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Ann Waiguru leaves Hotel La Mada after the conclusion of a Jubilee party meeting on February 15, 2016. At the meeting she announced she will vie for the Nairobi governor seat. PHOTO | WILLIAM OERI | NATION MEDIA GROUP

Former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Ann Waiguru leaves Hotel La Mada after the conclusion of a Jubilee party meeting on February 15, 2016. At the meeting she announced she will vie for the Nairobi governor seat. PHOTO | WILLIAM OERI | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

By AGNES ABOO
More by this Author

Former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Ann Waiguru has formally declared her interest in the governorship of Nairobi saying she will fight for Jubilee ticket to run for the seat.

She made known her intentions on Monday during a Jubilee Party meeting for Nairobi members at Hotel La Mada in Nairobi.

"I am declaring that I will contest for Jubilee ticket to run for Nairobi governorship. I have grassroot support and I know I will deliver," she told the meeting.

She said she was ready to face other Jubilee contestants for the ticket.

"I am ready to compete with all others who are interested in the seat. I know I able and I can deliver," she added.

Her declaration drew instant resistance from other contestants who questioned her ability to govern Nairobi.

Dagoretti South MP Dennis Waweru, who is also seeking the party's ticket, said those running for the governorship should tell Kenyans what they have done and what they were bringing to the party.

"What are you bringing to the party? We want to know. You cannot just say you want to run for a seat," said Mr Waweru.

Former Starehe MP Margaret Wanjiru, who is also eyeing the Jubilee ticket, said technocrats should leave the ticket to politicians.

"Technocrats should let politicians fight for the seat. We will be able to deliver this seat to Jubilee," said Bishop Wanjiru.

Ms Waiguru resigned in November last year after her docket was rocked by corruption claims regarding siphoning of Sh791 million from the National Youth Service. She was later exonerated by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission in February 2016.

So far, the Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko has pushed for the prosecution of 11 individuals alleged to be involved in stealing the funds.

advertisement