Anthrax scare in Bomet as over 100 ill after eating cow meat

Wednesday November 29 2017

Longisa County Referral Hospital

Seven people have been admitted to Longisa County Referral Hospital in Bomet after feasting on meat from a cow suspected to have died from anthrax. 100 others were on November 29, 2017 treated and discharged. FILE PHOTO | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

By GEOFFREY RONO
More by this Author

Seven people have been admitted to Longisa County Referral Hospital in Bomet in serious condition after feasting on meat from a cow suspected to have been infected with anthrax.

At least 100 others have been treated and discharged in the incident which occurred in Chepalungu Constituency.

However, the county chief officer in charge of medical services, Dr Bernard Sowek, said the seven victims still in hospital were in stable condition and were out of danger.

Dr Sowek said the patients were taken to Chebunyo Dispensary on Wednesday morning but after diagnosis, it was discovered that they needed specialised treatment and were referred to Longisa Hospital in Bomet East Constituency.

"The patients are in stable condition since they were rushed to hospital early enough for treatment," Dr Sowek said.

FEAST

All the patients are said to have fell ill after their neighbour slaughtered a cow that had suddenly died and invited them for a feast.

“The report we have is that a neighbour had called for a feast after their cow died without any symptoms of illness on Tuesday evening and…some of those who ate developed abdominal pains,” Dr Sowek stated.

Local health workers have pitched tent in the village, sensitising locals on the dangers of feasting on uninspected meat.

Medical Health Executive, Dr Joseph Sitonik, said the scene where the carcass was slaughtered had been disinfected and that the area was immediately cordoned off.

Dr Sitonik said the skin of the dead cow which was sold by the owner at Chebunyo trading centre was yet to be found and there was a likelihood that more people might be infected if they fed on the skin.