Kisumu county government will not take a disciplinary action against its doctors on strike unless a clear communication from the President’s office or Council of Governors office is presented.
Dr Elizabeth Ogaja, Kisumu County Minister for Health, said she is yet to receive a communication on the sacking of doctors on strike.
She said apart from the newspaper announcement on the sacking of doctors, she has not received any official communication.
“Sacking has to be done in a systematic way. I cannot sack them without an official communication either from the President’s office or Council of Governors office,” said Dr Ogaja.
Different county governments are in various stages of disciplinary measures against doctors on strike.
Kakamega County yesterday gave a warning to 85 doctors who are on strike. They were asked to report to work by Friday or face disciplinary action.
The county government has recalled 30 other doctors who had proceeded for post-graduate studies to report on duty at the county general hospital and level 4 facilities in the region.
The County chief officer for Health Services Dr Brendah Makokha said doctors who fail to resume duty as directed will face the sack.
According to Dr Ogaja, government policy is implemented through circulars and that is what she is waiting for as a legal protection when taking action on any doctor.
She says she cannot just sack doctors without clear communication.
“We need the doctors and sacking them will mean we replace them. With the shortage where are we going to get others to employ?,” asked Dr Ogaja.
Earlier this week, Kenyatta National Hospital fired 12 doctors for deserting duty through their participation in the ongoing strike.
KNH Chief Executive Officer Lily Koros, also put 48 others, alongside postgraduate students and interns on notice to immediately resume work on face a similar fate.
She said they also face eviction from hospital quarters.