Gang raids Governor Munya’s home in Meru, vandalises car

Tuesday February 2 2016

By DAVID MUCHUI
More by this Author

A gang Sunday night raided Meru Governor Peter Munya’s private home and vandalised one of his official security cars.

According to Meru County Director of Communications Simon Kobia, an unknown number of people cut through the fence around Mr Munya’s compound in Meru some time after midnight, shortly after his official bodyguards had gone home, leaving the home under the watch of night guards.

Speaking to Nation.co.ke by phone on Tuesday morning, Mr Kobia said it was not clear where the night guards were when the incident happened.

He added that the gang ransacked the security vehicle and later took away the car’s battery.

The governor’s official vehicle, which was in the compound was, however, not touched.

Meru Governor Peter Munya's home in Kaaga, on

Meru Governor Peter Munya's home in Kaaga, on the outskirts of Meru Town, where gangsters gained entry through the fence and vandalised a car. PHOTO | DAVID MUCHUI | NATION MEDIA GROUP

Mr Kobia said they were waiting for police to complete their investigations into the matter, adding that there was no need to speculate on the motive behind the attack.

“We don’t want to speculate. We are waiting for a report from the police,” Mr Kobia said.

He said Governor Munya was safe and had travelled to Nairobi on his official duties as the chairman of the Council of Governors.

Mr Kobia said the incident happened as the governor was sleeping but the gang did not attempt to break into his house.

"The governor's residence is guarded by four AP officers during the day who hand over to the resident security officer when the governor retires to bed.

“Two resident security officers were at the home on that night. It is not clear how the gang accessed the compound unnoticed," Mr Kobia said.

Mr Kobia called on the government to beef up security for the governor and other leaders as the country heads to the 2017 General Election.

INVESTIGATIONS LAUNCHED

Speaking to the Nation by phone, Meru County Police Commander Joseph Kiine said investigations have been launched into the incident.

He said there were suspicions that it could have been an inside job.

Mr Kiine said the break-in was discovered at around 10 am on Monday.

“We are aware of the break-in incident at the governor’s home. The driver of the official security vehicle tried to start the car at around 10 am but it failed.

“On checking, he discovered that the battery was missing. It looks like an inside job,” Mr Kiine said.

The county police commander said all county offices and official residences have adequate security round the clock.

COUNTY OFFICES VANDALISED

The incident comes a week after the offices of the county executive for Lands and the director of Monitoring and Evaluation were broken into and documents and laptop computers stolen.

County executive for Lands, ICT and Planning Martin Bikuri confirmed that his office was broken into on Monday last week.

“The thugs broke into the cabinets and ransacked documents. Two laptops were stolen and several documents lost. They attempted to break into the ICT office but failed. We had decided to give the police time to investigate but we can’t keep quite anymore,” Mr Bikuri said.

He said there was need for the national government to beef up security at the county offices to avert such incidents in future.

“Security is not as it used to be at the county offices. We are reading malice and politics in these robbery incidents. We cannot treat them as normal robbery because the governor’s residence is well secured.

“The police need to get to the bottom of the matter so that we know who is behind it,” he said.