Kidero snubs House after Jubilee MCAs’ threat to walk out on him

Wednesday February 10 2016

Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero when he appeared before Senate Public Accounts and Investment Committee on December 15, 2015. He has blamed political cartels over claims that he offered a Supreme Court judge Sh200million bribe. FILE PHOTO | JEFF ANGOTE | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

By LILLIAN MUTAVI
More by this Author

Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero on Tuesday failed to address the County Assembly as scheduled after Jubilee MCAs threatened to walk out on him.

Dr Kidero was expected to open the chambers and give a State of the County address but instead opted to keep off.

County Clerk Jacob Ngwele said they wrote to the governor last week, reminding him that he would be granted an opportunity to address the House.

“It is provided for in the Constitution and standing orders that the governor or president is given a chance to address the chambers but not necessarily during its first sitting,” said Mr Ngwele.

He said Dr Kidero later cancelled the address through a letter, stating that he was unavailable.

COLOURFUL EVENT

Mr Ngwele said they did not make many preparations as has been the case.

City Hall has made the occasion more colourful where several roads are closed and a parade mounted for the governor.

However, things will be different this year as tension continues to build at City Hall over corruption allegations Dr Kidero is facing.

MCAs want to impeach the governor who is accused of giving Justice Philip Tunoi a Sh200 million bribe to influence the outcome of an election petition in 2014 in his favour.

Minority Chief Whip Hashim Kamau said some members had planned a walk out   during the governor’s address. “The governor has just written to the assembly to postpone his speech,” said Mr Hashim.

Jubilee MCAs also accused Dr Kidero of non-performance. A Jubilee MCA said they are unhappy that the executive has been belittling the assembly by not implementing any of the motions they have passed.

However, Dr Kidero received some relief when Karura MCA, Kamau Thuo, who was to move the impeachment motion  said he has put it on hold until investigations into the bribery allegations are completed.

“I have not withdrawn the motion but just halted it. The governor can breathe for now as we wait for a tribunal to carry out investigations into the claims,”  said Mr Thuo.

He said the motion has been drafted but experts at the assembly have warned that it did not meet the threshold to impeach the governor.

Meanwhile the House resumed for the fourth session during which Speaker Alex Ole Magelo presided over the reconstitution of the house business committee.

The team led by the Speaker, prepares the assembly’s programme and calendar. But the 17 members will be reshuffled “for failing to deliver on their oversight role”.