Politicians in Nakuru are yet to comply with an order by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) to bring down billboards, posters and banners after the August 8 General Election.
The electoral agency had last week Tuesday asked candidates in the just concluded polls to bring down posters and billboards within seven days.
In a letter addressed to candidates, agents, political parties and party members, IEBC chairman Wafula Chebukati said failing to remove such materials would attract fines and bans in future elections. The deadline elapses Monday.
A spot check by the Nation on Sunday within Nakuru Town revealed that the Central Business District and major streets were still littered with posters of politicians who participated in the August 8 General Election.
The Nation established that only a few billboards, especially those along the busy Nakuru-Nairobi highway had been pulled down.
However the CBD was still littered with posters belonging to gubernatorial, woman representative, Senatorial, parliamentary and ward representative candidates in the polls.
For instance posters belonging to gubernatorial candidates Peter Koros of Chama Cha Mashinani and Paul Njoroge of Kanu were still up.
Their posters remained plastered on poles and walls along Kenyatta Avenue and other streets in the town.
“Only a few candidates have removed their posters. Majority are yet to do so," said John Kioko, a resident within the town who added that the posters are becoming an eyesore in the town and its environs.
Nakuru Town was in 2011 declared the cleanest town in East and Central Africa.
In Nairobi members of the Sonko Rescue Team, which belongs to Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko, removed all posters for politicians around the city.