One of the most common questions I get asked is how to control skin oiliness. Oily skin or seborrhea is caused by the presence of plenty of overactive oil glands.
When the oil secretion clogs the pores, it leads to pimples and acne.
Natural skin oil or sebum is extremely helpful in keeping the skin supple and healthy. The plus side of oily skin is that it ages at a slower rate, meaning that it looks younger for longer.
The problem arises when there is too much of it being produced. It is essential to manage oily skin to keep skin shine-free. Here are some of the ways to do this.
1. Clean your face at least twice daily with soap and water. Take care not to over strip the skin as this will lead to over production of oil. Use toner after washing to soothe and refresh
the skin. Avoid products with high alcohol.
2. Use oil-free moisturisers such as vanishing cream or oil control creams. These help to give skin a matt appearance. If you do not desire a matt, dry look, use water based lotions for
a dewy finish. Don’t skip moisturiser as it helps to control the amount secreted by the skin. Leaving your face without any moisturiser will cause the glands to produce more to
3. Use oil blotting papers during the day to absorb oil and leave skin shine free
4. Use cornstarch as an oil blotting powder.
5. At night, use retinoid based cream twice per week to help regulate oil production.
6. If you use make-up, select liquid oil-free products as opposed to stick foundations.
Writer is national director of the safe skin care initiative. [email protected]