Five people were injured on Saturday morning after a gas cylinder exploded inside a house in Mathare, along Juja Road in Nairobi.
The 8am incident ripped off the wall of the residential building injuring the five.
Ms Beatrice Wanjira, 54, sustained serious burns and was rushed to Kenyatta National Hospital while the rest were slightly hurt and were treated at Guru Nanak Hospital before being discharged.
Starehe police boss Samuel Anampiu said the blasts may have started from inside the house but they are yet to know the cause.
He however ruled out possibilities of a grenade or any other explosive.
“Experts who have been analysing the blast have concluded that it could have been caused by a leaking gas which must have exploded during ignition,” he told the press at the scene.
Two gas cylinders were found in the house from where the blast emanated and Mr Anampiu said the poor ventilation inside the room could have enhanced the explosion.
“The experts suspect that the gas cylinder might have been leaking through some pipe overnight leading to the high concentration which might have probably resulted into this. We have ruled out any possibilities of a grenade or any other explosive,” he added.
He confirmed that four of the five who sustained minor injuries had received treatment and discharged while the fifth who sustained serious burns was undergoing treatment at Kenyatta.
The police boss also declared the building inhabitable and urged those residing in it to find alternative places.
“The building itself looks very old and we are urging occupants to find alternative shelter elsewhere because experts have declared it inhabitable for now,” he cautioned.
Shanty structures on top of the building remained hanging precariously after the wall collapsed.