NYS fraud cases forwarded to new anti-graft court

Tuesday March 8 2016

National Youth Service graft suspects appear before Nairobi Chief Magistrate Daniel Ogembo.  PHOTO | PAUL WAWERU | NATION MEDIA GROUP

National Youth Service graft suspects appear before Nairobi Chief Magistrate Daniel Ogembo. Their cases will now be heard and determined by the newly established Anti-Corruption and Economic Crimes Division of the High Court. PHOTO | PAUL WAWERU | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

By ABIUD OCHIENG
More by this Author

Cases involving suspects who allegedly benefited from the Sh791 million stolen from the National Youth Service (NYS) will be heard and determined by the newly established Anti-Corruption and Economic Crimes Division of the High Court.

Justice Msagha Mbogholi on Monday referred the cases to the court, saying that any further order and directions should be sought from there.

He directed the parties in the case to appear on March 16 before the deputy registrar, who will then facilitate the movement of the file to the new court.

“There is a new court established to deal with the issues of corruption and I cannot issue any further orders. I can only make an order that the matter be expedited," said Justice Mbogholi.

The case was filed by the Assets Recovery Agency (ARA) against individuals alleged to have embezzled the NYS funds.

The agency intends to repossess property owned by the individuals that is said to have been purchased using the stolen funds.

In November last year, the court granted orders freezing the properties after the ARA, through lawyer Muthoni Kimani, filed an urgent application alleging the properties had been bought using money stolen from NYS.