13 wanted men have surrendered: Police

Sunday January 8 2012

By NATION REPORTER

Majority of the suspected terrorists whose pictures were circulated by police have turned themselves in, police spokesman Eric Kiraithe has said.

Thirteen out of the 15 wanted men have surrendered to the police and only two remain at large. Police circulated the photos of the 15 last year for alleged links to terrorists.

Mr Kiraithe (pictured) said Kenyans were volunteering information to help them arrest suspected terrorists and explosives.

Recently, the police recovered 10 grenade caps in Daadab refugee camp.

He said the explosives were recovered at Ifo II camp in an operation carried out by detectives after a tip-off.

Several refugees were also arrested and questioned over the improvised explosive devices.

“We have boosted our intelligence in the area,” the police spokesman said.

Mr Kiraithe also cautioned that buildings that have not boosted their security may be blacklisted.

He said terrorists target installations where there is a security lapse and owners of buildings should constantly increase security to avoid terror attacks.

“We would not want to black list buildings but owners need to improve their security,” the police spokesman said.

Speaking during the weekly Operation Linda Nchi briefing, Mr Kiraithe advised building owners whose structures have a car park or basement to be extra vigilant.

This is because explosives detonated in a vehicle have higher casualties and are thus popular with terrorists.