DPP Tobiko orders prosecution of suspects in NYS funds loss

The suspects include Mr Benson Gethi and Ms Josephine Kabura Irungu

Monday February 15 2016

Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko. Mr Tobiko has ordered that suspects be charged with alleged loss of money in NYS. PHOTO | PAUL WAWERU | NATION MEDIA GROUP

Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko. Mr Tobiko has ordered that suspects be charged with alleged loss of money in NYS. PHOTO | PAUL WAWERU | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

By SAMUEL KARANJA
More by this Author

The Director of Public Prosecutions has directed that 11 suspects be charged with the alleged loss of Sh791 million from the National Youth Service (NYS).

The individuals include Mr Benson Gethi and Ms Josephine Kabura Irungu, who were at the centre of the alleged loss of the cash, Mr John Kago Ndung’u, Ms Charity Wambui Gethi, Mr Samuel Wachenje, alias Sam Mwadime, and Mr Patrick Ogolla Onyango.

Others are Mr Anthony Gethi Kihara, Mr Paul Kinuthia Gachoka, Mr John Hope Vandamme, Mr Martin Gachara Wanjohi, and Mr Jedidah Wangari Wangui.

On September 25 last year, DPP Keriako Tobiko directed Department of Criminal Investigations officers to carry out further investigations into possible money laundering involving the Sh791 million allegedly stolen from the NYS.

“On January 21, 2016, the Banking Fraud Investigations Unit submitted the inquiry file on the said investigations to the DPP,” said a statement from the DPP’s office.

“Having perused the resubmitted inquiry file, the DPP is satisfied that the evidence establishes the offence of money laundering contrary to Section 3 and 4 of the Proceeds of Crime and Money Laundering Act….the DPP has therefore directed that the suspects be charged accordingly,” added the statement sent to newsrooms on Monday.

advertisement