A man claiming to be a witness at the International Criminal Court on Monday withdrew from the ongoing case in The Hague saying his conscience forced him to pull out.
According Mr David Kiarie Kibe, who claimed that he was to testify next week, he had been coached to give false evidence against Deputy President William Ruto and radio presenter Joshua Sang after.
This was after being promised to be paid millions of shilling by both ICC investigators and an international NGO.
In an affidavit he swore before a Nakuru lawyer announcing his withdrawal from the case, the visibly terrified witness alleged that the NGO had to promised to pay him Sh44 million.
“They were to pay me Sh170,000 per month calculating it from 1992 when I was displaced by post-election violence up to the time I would complete giving my evidence,” he told journalists after swearing the affidavit.
He says in his affidavit that ICC investigators had promised to pay him an extra Sh38 million and a life insurance cover for 20 years.
PULLED OUT VOLUNTARILY
“I had started travelling last week where I was to meet the ICC investigators in Dar as Salam, but on reaching Arusha, I changed my mind and decided to withdraw from the case,” the 44-year-old businessman who hails from Kericho said.
“I pulled out voluntarily and I did not receive any threats,” he said.
He showed the media two passports — one of which he said was issued to him by the ICC investigators based in Kampala for travel within Uganda and an international one he was to use to fly to The Hague.
The man, who campaigned in 2007, said he was identified as an ICC witness in August 2011.
“They told me to tell the court (ICC court) that Ruto has been responsible for violence in Rift valley,” he claimed.