Friday, November 8, 2013

Ex-NSSF boss Tom Odongo fails to bar successor’s hiring

PHOTO | EMMA NZIOKA | FILE Former National Social Security Fund boss Tom Odongo.

PHOTO | EMMA NZIOKA | FILE Former National Social Security Fund boss Tom Odongo.  NATION MEDIA GROUP

By Nation Correspondent
More by this Author

Former National Social Security Fund boss Tom Odongo has failed to stop the recruitment of his successor.

Industrial Court judge Nzioki wa Makau on Friday ruled that halting the process would be impractical as Labour Cabinet Secretary Kazungu Kambi had already appointed an acting managing trustee.

“It would not be in the public interest to halt the recruitment, and since the NSSF needs to be run competently even as the case proceeds, it would be contrary to good order to hold the position vacant,” Justice Nzioki said in declining to grant Mr Odongo’s application. (READ: Former NSSF boss seeks to stop filling of top position)

Justice Nzioki said that although the position has been filled by an acting managing trustee, the court had the powers to reinstate Mr Odongo if it found he had no case.

The former NSSF chief was sacked from the giant retirement benefits scheme on July 22 by Mr Kambi. The Labour Secretary said he took the action following an advisory from the parastatal’s board and declined to divulge the circumstances surrounding the matter, only insisting that the action was taken in accordance with the law.

Mr Odongo was sent home just after he had launched a Sh100 billion pension plan campaign to introduce a new social welfare scheme for Kenyan employees.
The plan was heavily criticised by private pension schemes in the country.

He was ordered to hand over office to the company secretary, Ms Hope Mwashumbe, and return all company properties in his possession.

advertisement