Police to probe Kisii defilement claim after newspaper advert

Friday January 29 2016

National Police Service spokesman George Kinoti

National Police Service spokesman George Kinoti at a past event. FILE PHOTO | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

By FRED MUKINDA
More by this Author

The National Police Service has launched investigations into an alleged defilement case following a complaint through a newspaper advert.

NPS spokesman George Kinoti said police officials learnt of the incident through the press.

“I can assure you the officer will be in court in less than 24 hours once it is established an offence is occurred. It is a surprise we are receiving this information through the media.

“It is a very serious allegation in the first place. The investigation will also seek to establish if the member of the public was so frustrated to the extent of purchasing space in the newspaper,” he said.

The advertisement was placed by a Mr Ondicho Hassan Simba in the Daily Nation on Friday.

He alleged that a police officer based in Kisii defiled a 12-year-old girl on January 22 but no action had been taken even after the matter was reported to Kisii Central Police Station.

“The public pounced on the officer and beat him ruthlessly and he was rescued by his colleagues. We reported the matter at the police station but the OCS (Officer Commanding Police Station) and his deputy refused to allow statements to be recorded and have been protecting the officer,” stated the advertisement.