Parents of murdered Italian research cast doubt on Egypt police

Sunday March 27 2016

A bereaved father grieves for his dead sons at the Zynhom morgue in Cairo on February 8, 2015. Italian media and western diplomatic sources in Cairo have voiced suspicions that Egyptian security services kidnapped and tortured to death the 28-year-old Cambridge University graduate student, Mr Giulio Regeni. AFP | PHOTO

A bereaved father grieves for his dead sons at the Zynhom morgue in Cairo on February 8, 2015. Italian media and western diplomatic sources in Cairo have voiced suspicions that Egyptian security services kidnapped and tortured to death the 28-year-old Cambridge University graduate student, Mr Giulio Regeni. AFP | PHOTO 

By AFP
More by this Author

CAIRO, Saturday

Egyptian prosecutors have ordered a four-day detention of two women arrested in an apartment where police found the belongings of murdered Italian student Giulio Regeni, an official said.

The women are the wife and a sister of one of four slain gang members whom police linked to the murder of Regeni, whose mutilated body was found more than week after his disappearance in Cairo on January 25.

They are accused of concealing a crime and being in the possession of stolen material.

Egyptian police announced on Thursday that they killed four gang members in a shootout, and then discovered Regeni’s passport and wallet in the home of a suspect’s sister.

Italy has cast doubt on the suggestion that the gang members — who allegedly posed as police to extort foreigners and Egyptians — were behind Regeni’s killing.

“Italy insists: we want the truth,” wrote Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni on his Twitter, while prosecutors in Rome rejected the latest conclusions of the Egyptian investigation.

Italian media and western diplomatic sources in Cairo have voiced suspicions that Egyptian security services kidnapped and tortured to death the 28-year-old Cambridge University graduate student.

Rome prosecutor Giuseppe Pignatone said in a statement that “details communicated so far are not satisfactory to shed light on the death of Giulio Regeni. Investigations must therefore continue.”

According to Italian government sources, PM Matteo Renzi promised the parents of the young student that Rome would continue to put pressure on Egypt to establish the truth behind the death.

Quoted by Italian press, Regeni’s parents said they were “injured and bitter” at Egyptian authorities’ latest attempt to explain their son’s death. 

Regeni was researching labour movements in Egypt.