Rivals dismiss survey putting Hassan Joho ahead

Sunday July 16 2017

Senator Hassan Omar addresses the press after his campaign truck was attacked late last week.

Senator Hassan Omar addresses the press after his campaign truck was attacked late last week. He said the recent opinion poll was sponsored by Governor Joho. PHOTO | KEVIN ODIT | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

By GITONGA MARETE
More by this Author

Mombasa Senator and governor candidate Hassan Omar has dismissed a survey showing he is trailing with less than five per cent of the vote.

The poll, conducted by Infotrack shows incumbent Hassan Joho (Orange Democratic Movement) leading with 63.2 per cent, followed by Mr Suleiman Shahbal of Jubilee with 15.3 while Mr Omar has 4.8 per cent.

Vibrant Democratic Party’s Hezron Awiti trails the rest with 0.5 per cent of the vote.

According to the poll, and assuming the turnout on August 8 would be 100 per cent of the 540,000 voters in Mombasa, Mr Joho would get 341,280 votes, Mr Shahbal 82,620, Mr Omar 25,920 while Mr Awiti would garner just 2,700.

DISMISSED SURVEY

Joho’s opponents dismissed the survey, saying it was sponsored by the county boss. 

Mr Omar said the poll was aimed at reenergising Mr Joho’s campaigns.

“We are aware that these polls are sponsored by Joho and are released when the governor’s rating is sliding in order to create a narrative of victory,” the Wiper candidate said.

“Joho is also dividing the National Super Alliance constituency to show that there is no meaningful competition from Nasa.”

MOHAMED FAKI

He said the opinion poll, which also showed that Mr Mohamed Faki of ODM was leading in the Senate race while his independent opponents Hamisi Mwaguya and Jabes Oduor were trailing, was intended to portray ODM as the most popular party in the region. 

Mr Awiti laughed off the poll, saying voters would decide who to be the next governor.

“If I got 18,000 votes when I contested the Nyali parliamentary seat in 2013, what of now when I want to be governor? This is a joke.

Those attempting to sway voters with such polls are in for a shock,” he said.

CAMPAIGNING

Mr Shahbal’s communication office also dismissed the survey.

“Joho can not get that number of votes. We dismiss the survey with the contempt it deserves,” the statement said.

Contacted for a comment, Governor Joho’s director of communications Richard Chacha said the county boss never commissioned the poll.

“We were busy campaigning. In fact, we feel we are far ahead of the 63 per cent the survey gave us,” he said.