William Ruto case resumes as victim testifies

Wednesday May 14 2014

Deputy President William Ruto arrives at The Hague on May 14, 2014. His case has resumed. PHOTO | REBECCA NDUKU | DPPS

Deputy President William Ruto arrives at The Hague on May 14, 2014. His case has resumed. PHOTO | REBECCA NDUKU | DPPS NATION MEDIA GROUP

By NATION REPORTER
More by this Author

The trial of Deputy President William Ruto and journalist Joshua Sang resumed on Wednesday in The Hague after Easter recess, with a victim taking to the witness stand.

The witness, P-673, has been granted protection and her entire testimony will be heard in private, following the prosecution’s request.

The witness, a female victim from Eldoret, which was hard hit by the post-election violence, will be questioned by the victims’ lawyer, Mr Wilfred Nderitu, if the court allows.

Mr Ruto arrived in The Hague early Wednesday morning, hours before his trial resumed, accompanied by his wife Rachel, National Assembly Majority Leader Aden Duale and Kericho Senator Charles Keter.

Meanwhile, his trial is moving forward despite “tremendous difficulties” with witnesses, chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda has said.

At the same time, Ms Bensouda plans to meet Attorney-General Githu Muigai to discuss the court’s request for President Kenyatta’s financial records.

Asked about the status of the Ruto case at a news conference at the UN headquarters in New York, Ms Bensouda said: “We are having tremendous difficulties, as usual, with our witnesses not wanting to come forward or changing their minds at the last minute.”

She has previously complained about “unprecedented intimidation” of witnesses in the Kenyan cases.

She spoke as it emerged that one of the witnesses expected as the trial resumed on Wednesday had declined to travel to The Hague.

Sources said the witness vanished in Eldoret Town shortly before the prosecution team travelled with him to Nairobi for a flight to the Netherlands.

However, the team succeeded in flying out with one witness.