The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will not resume funding and assistance to Kenya until the National Olympic Committee of Kenya (Nock) puts in place a new constitution and new office bearers.
IOC Deputy Director General Pere Miro has said that the IOC Executive Board meeting has decided against taking further action against Kenya after the current Nock Executive Committee opted to support the proposed constitution.
In a letter dated March 16, 2017 from Lausanne, Switzerland, Miro said IOC’s Executive Board noted with disappointment that Nock General Assembly failed to adopt its revised constitution on March 7, this year.
“However, the IOC EB welcomed the recent positive developments as mentioned in a letter dated March 14, 2017, in particular the commitment by Nock to rectify the situation and the resolution by Nock Executive to support the adoption of the revised constitution in the next General Assembly,” said Miro.
“In view of this significant progress, no further action will be taken by IOC on this stage. Nevertheless, IOC EB has confirmed that all payments of subsidies to Nock continue to be on hold until further notice,” said explained Miro.
Miro said IOC will continue to monitor closely the completion of entire process, including the adoption of the draft constitution, as the first step, and holding Elective General Assembly accordance with the road map established in September last year.
On Tuesday, the Nock Executive Committee unanimously agreed to support the adoption of Nock’s new Constitution in full and called for another General Assembly on March 28 for the purpose of adopting it.
The major retreat by Nock Executive saw Kenya avoid heavy repercussion that included a ban during the two-day IOC Executive Board meeting that ended on Friday in Lausanne.
The adoption of the draft Constitution will be by a show of hands at the General Assembly due March 28 which will henceforth set the dates for the Electoral General Assembly.