Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Doping cases: Wario seeks Chinese help

PHOTO FILE Cabinet Secretary for Sports, Arts & Culture Dr Hassan Wario has said that Kenya needs about Sh18 million to revive the dormant Kenya Anti-Doping Agency.

PHOTO FILE Cabinet Secretary for Sports, Arts & Culture Dr Hassan Wario has said that Kenya needs about Sh18 million to revive the dormant Kenya Anti-Doping Agency.  

By Ayumba Ayodi
More by this Author

The government is seeking assistance from China, Norway and World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) to revive the dormant Kenya Anti-Doping Agency (Kada).

Cabinet Secretary for Sports Arts and Culture, Hassan Wario, said on Tuesday that Kenya needs about Sh18 million to revive the agency.

He said a new Kada board will be constituted and gazetted as part of the government’s efforts to ensure transparency in athletics.

“We have engaged the foreign agencies to help us refine our structures so as to enhance efficiency,” said Wario, when he hosted visiting Wada officials at Ole Sereni Hotel.

“One thing that came out from the meeting is education. We will raise awareness to our athletes so they are aware of what is expected of them,” said Wario adding that they will take the programme to the grassroots, in primary and secondary schools, training camps and sports centres.

Wada Africa Director, Rodney Swigelaar, expressed his disappointment at the way the government had been slow in investigating doping cases. The government constituted a task force in November to investigate doping allegations.

CONDUCTED INVESTIGATIONS

Swigelaar is hopeful they will receive a good report on the true situation of doping in Kenya from the task force led by Moni Wekesa.

“The government has shown it’s planning to ensure it is enhanced through education, structural development and resource mobilisation,” said Swigelaar.

Wario said the government will add to the Sh4.5 million that it had allocated the task force.

The taskforce, which was given two months to complete the investigations and submit their report to the government, had threatened to wind up its work due to financial constraints, having conducted just 23 days of investigations.

“They gave us their budget and we gave them the cash to continue with their task. We have received the preliminary report but we cannot release it at this point,” Wario said.

Wekesa said the report will be released next month, having collected views from Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Eldoret, Elgeyo Marakwet, Kakamega and Kapsabet.

advertisement