Former police chief Nyaseda dies in hospital - Daily Nation

Former police chief Nyaseda dies in hospital

Tuesday December 30 2008

Prime Minister Raila Odinga consoles the widow

Prime Minister Raila Odinga consoles the widow of the late Mr.Edwin Otiende Nyaseda,Former Commissioner of Police at his Nairobi residence on Tuesday. PHOTO/PMPS 


Former police commissioner Edwin Nyaseda died on Tuesday while undergoing treatment at Nairobi Hospital.

Mr Nyaseda, the eighth police chief in independent Kenya, died at 6.30am.

Though his tenure was the shortest at the helm of the police force, he is credited with initiating the police reforms programme that saw officers’ salaries increased and better housing programmes started.

His successor, Maj-Gen Hussein Ali, described Mr Nyaseda as a loyal officer who offered “exemplary service” for 27 years.

More professional

“As the commissioner of police, he gave a firm foundation to the ongoing Kenya Police reforms,” said Maj-Gen Ali.

Mr Nyaseda, who was 56, had been on treatment for a liver ailment since May.

A committee comprising senior police officers has been formed to help his family in funeral arrangements.

Prime Minister Raila Odinga and senior police officers were among government officials who joined relatives and friends in mourning the departed officer at his home in the city’s Lavington Estate.

“Mr Nyaseda is rightly credited with reforms that have made the police force more professional,” said Mr Odinga.

Mr Nyaseda was appointed police boss on February 12, 2003, barely two months after the Narc Government came to power.

Several months later, officers were awarded a significant salary increment that saw the lowest ranked earn the Sh11,000 per month, up from Sh6,000.

An ambitious housing plan that targeted construction of 27,000 units was also initiated.

Mr Nyaseda, who had replaced Mr Philemon Abong’o, was sacked by President Kibaki in April the following year at a time when there was an upsurge in crime, particularly armed robberies.