alexa Eight charged over Sh80m Co-op Bank heist - Daily Nation

Eight charged over Sh80m Co-op Bank heist

Monday October 4 2010

Thugs posing as security firm G4S crew stole Sh80m from the headquarters of the Cooperative Bank, Nairobi October 1,2010. FILE

Thugs posing as security firm G4S crew stole Sh80m from the headquarters of the Cooperative Bank, Nairobi October 1,2010. FILE 


Six bank employees, a former CID officer and a G4S Security Services Ltd worker were on Monday charged with stealing Sh80 million from Co-operative Bank of Kenya.

Mary Wangui Kimari, a Co-operative Bank of Kenya’s Operations manager, was jointly charged with his colleagues Claire Wairimu Kabaru, Eunice Wanaswa, Priscilla Kahuya Jumba, Celnael Atieno Midega and Elvis Kipkorir Too.

Others are Collins Omondi Sangoro, an employee of G4S Security Services Ltd and Collins Okoth Atira, a former CID at Ongata Rongai police station, Kajiado district.

But the accused denied two charges of theft and handling stolen goods before Kibera chief magistrate Cecilia Githua.

The court heard that the accused jointly with others not before court stole Sh80 million, the property of Co-operative Bank of Kenya.

They allegedly committed the offence at Co-operative Bank along Haile Selassie Avenue in Nairobi on October 1, 2010.


Mr Atira was separately charged that on October 3, 2010 along Ahero-Katitu Road in Nyakach district, Nyanza, otherwise than in the course of stealing dishonestly retained Sh1,250,000 knowing or having reasons to believe the money to stolen.

Prosecuting, Chief Inspector Joseph Musyoka objected to the accused being released on bail.

He asked the court to remand the accused in custody at Kilimani police station to enable the police to complete investigations.

But defence lawyers led by Nicholas Sumba and Albert Makori opposed the application saying the offence allegedly committed was bailable.

They said their clients were innocent until they were proved guilty.

However, Insp Musyoka asked the court to remand the accused for five days saying Ms Kimari, Ms Kabaru, Ms Wanaswa, Ms Jumba, Ms Midega, Mr Too and Mr Sangoro were arrested on Friday, but Mr Atira was arrested on Sunday in Kisumu and transported Monday morning to Nairobi.

“The police are still conducting investigations and if the accused are released on bond they will interfere with investigations,” the prosecutor said.

Insp Musyoka added that the amount involved was big and investigations are at an advanced stage.

“We expect more recoveries and if released on bond the police might not recover the money,” Insp Musyoka told the court.

But Mr Sumba and Mr Makori said that the police had weekend to complete their investigations. The accused are innocent until they are proved guilty. The offence is bailable,” they argued.

The added the prosecution did not give explanation to how their clients will interfere with investigations. Without explanation the application cannot hold water.

They said that their clients were ready to comply with any conditions set by the court.

Insp Musyoka said that he made the application in good faith, adding that the defence was forcing the police to complete investigations which was not possible.

The magistrate agreed with the prosecution and remanded the accused at Kilimani police station for three days to complete their investigations. The case will be mentioned on Thursday.