Man charged with girl’s murder

Wednesday January 2 2013

By EUNICE MACHUHI [email protected]

A man was on Wednesday charged with the murder of a four-year-old girl who was also raped in Mombasa’s Kizingo Estate.

Mr John Mwasho Mwachele, who appeared before Mombasa High Court judge Martin Muya, was accused of committing the offence on Sunday, together with another suspect who was not in court.

Mr Mwachele was, however, not required to plead to the charge as police were still conducting investigations and were required to take him to a psychiatrist who would assess his mental status.

The suspect pleaded with the judge to allow him to seek medical attention, saying, he was beaten up by the public and had sustained injuries on his hand and other parts of his body.

Prosecutor Lucas Tanui sought an order directing the police officer in charge of Central Police Station to facilitate his treatment at the Coast General Hospital.

Mr Tanui also asked the court to provide Mr Mwachele with a lawyer and to have him remanded at the police station for a week.

The judge ordered that the suspect be remanded at the police and be taken for medical attention.

He also issued a directive that the doctor’s report be submitted before the court and that the deputy registrar provides the suspect with a lawyer.

The case will be mentioned on January 9.

Meanwhile, Kisauni MP Hassan Joho asked police to track down the other suspect on the run so that he can be charged in court.

The MP, who was speaking when he paid a visit to the girl’s family, said that there was need to form a special police unit to specifically deal with crimes that target children.

In Malindi, police were given three more days to complete an investigation into the killing of a minor.

The additional time was granted by a Malindi court after hearing an application by the police seeking more time to complete the investigation.

Police are holding a relative in connection with the minor’s killing at Kichwa Ngombe Village in Makubeni sub-location of Kilifi County.

The four-year-old was killed on New Year’s day and his body mutilated and later buried in a shallow grave about 400 metres from the family house.

On Wednesday, Malindi CID boss John Ndungu said they are holding the suspect as they searched for answers.

Additional report by Bozo Jenje