Police in Homa Bay say they have arrested a man who bragged to his friends that he was part of a gang that defiled and mutilated a minor last week.
The suspect, identified as Pius Otieno, was arrested on Monday night after officers were told he had been boasting that he took part in the horrendous gang defilement of a 13-year-old girl last week.
Local police boss Marius Tum told the Nation that the man will provide samples for a DNA test to ascertain if he one of the men who defiled the minor during a power blackout in Homa Bay.
Mr Otieno was arrested after police were tipped off by concerned members of the public.
“He was heard bragging that he participated in defiling the girl. Someone called us about the matter which prompted us to swing into action and arrest him,” Mr Tum said.
CUT WITH RAZOR
The minor was defiled by two suspects and her genitals cut with a razor blade.
She was on her way to the toilet when she was attacked, police said.
Mr Tum said officers from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) secured a court order that granted them seven days to detain the suspect.
The suspect will be in police custody until investigations, including the DNA test, are complete, Mr Tum said.
Police will then compare the samples taken from Mr Otieno with the ones taken from the minor to determine their connection to the January 3 incident.
“The minor had her samples taken from the county referral hospital when she was admitted last week. The two samples will be compared at the Government Chemist,” said the police boss.
Some eight suspects who had previously been arrested in connection to the incident were freed after police established that they had no connection to the defilement of the minor.
“They will be reporting to the station at the OCS’s office until investigations are complete,” said Mr Tum.
The minor was on Thursday last week taken to Nairobi Women’s Hospital through the intervention of Woman Rep Gladys Wanga for a reconstructive surgery that could not be performed by doctors in Homa Bay.