Bodies of 36 people killed in Mandera quarry attack flown to Nairobi
Tuesday December 2 2014
A Kenya Air Force plane that flew the 36 bodies of the Mandera quarry workers sits at Wilson Airport in Nairobi on December 2, 2014. The workers were killed by suspected Al-Shabaab militants. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU | NATION MEDIA GROUP
Mr Lumumba said past mistakes within the security framework in the county had been rectified and that the changes would soon be felt.
Earlier reports indicated that some of the workers could have been kidnapped, but Mandera Deputy County Commissioner Elvis Korir said the police were yet to verify the reports.
After the latest attack, more than 50 people arrived at the military camp seeking to be evacuated from the county.
Ms Ruth Wanjiru, who sold food to the miners, said she had decided to close her business for good.