alexa Busia man gets life sentence for murder of two relatives - Daily Nation

Busia man gets life sentence for murder of two relatives

Thursday February 21 2019


The High Court in Busia has sentenced a man to life in prison for killing his two relatives. PHOTO | FILE | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

More by this Author

A Busia court has sentenced a man to life imprisonment after he was found guilty of two counts of murder.

Mr Pascal William Makokha, a former Kenya Airways officer, was accused of shooting and killing Fredrick Obilo Asihya and Geoffrey Asihya on July 31, 2015 in Seka village, Nambale.

Mr Makokha was accused of killing the two relatives after a tiff.

In his defence, Mr Makokha he had gone to stop Geoffrey from cutting down his trees, when he was surrounded by a group of men including Fredrick.


He said he sensed danger and fired in the air as he retreated.

Mr Makokha added that he shot at Geoffrey after he cut him and also gunned down Fredrick when he attempted to pick a machete to attack him.

While delivering his judgement, High Court Judge Kiarie Waweru noted that witnesses and prosecution account of the incident and immediate cause of the unfortunate deaths differed with that of the defence.

“When the court visited the scene and investigations conducted over the disputed area where the shooting occurred, no single stump was seen. I therefore find that no trees were cut though this was the claim by the accused that led to the shooting of his brother and son,” said the judge.

He added that the evidence on record revealed many instances of animosity between the two brothers and their families emanating from the issue of inheritance.

Judge Kiarie did not agree with the accused that he acted out of self-defence and provocation.

“From the foregoing analysis of evidence on record, I find the accused guilty of each the offence he is charged with and accordingly convicted.”

The convict was given fourteen day to lodge an appeal.

The verdict ends a long battle for justice by the family of the victims led by Thomas and Moris Asia.

“We are happy with the ruling, justice has finally prevailed,” the family said.