Matungu family call for investigation after kin's death

Wednesday March 18 2020

Mrs Saida Omina holds a portrait of her husband Cornelius Kunguru who was murdered in Matungu. PHOTO | SHABAN MAKOKHA | NATION MEDIA GROUP


The family of a man who was found dead at Koyonzo market in Matungu Sub-County on Monday has accused police of rushing to conclusions on the cause of his death instead of investigating the matter conclusively.

Relatives of Cornelius Kunguru insist he was murdered and his body dumped at the market, contradicting reports by security officials in Matungu who say the deceased died after indulging in alcohol.

His younger brother, Steven Kunguru said the police should investigate the matter further instead of rushing to conclusions.


“We are speculating about what caused the death of elder brother because his left arm was broken, there were bruises all over his body with blood oozing from the mouth and nostrils indicating he was assaulted and sustained internal injuries,” said Mr Kunguru.

Mr Kunguru said police should follow up and arrest revellers who were at the C&C Discount bar on the night his brother was killed.

Matungu Deputy County Commissioner Jacob Awuor said the deceased was suspected to have died from excessive drinking of alcohol.

“Indications are that Kunguru could have collapsed and died after indulging in a drinking spree of alcohol at the bar. We have no evidence suggesting he could have been murdered,” said Mr Awuor.


The sub-county police commander Alex Ndili said a post mortem examination will be conducted on Friday.

“If the outcome indicates he was murdered, we will proceed with further investigations and ensure the suspected are arrested,” said the police boss. He said one person was being questioned over the death of the villager.

The body of Mr Kunguru, 58, was discovered dumped outside the drinking den behind Koyonzo market on Tuesday morning, sparking fears of the resurgence of the killer gangs in the region.


His wife Saida Omina said her husband left home for the market on Monday and promised to return home and head to the farm to plant maize.

“But he never came back. On Tuesday morning when, we were alerted by a neighbour who informed us that my husband was drunk and had tripped and fallen at the market. I rushed to the scene and tried to revive him but his lifeless body was cold,” said Ms Omina.