The National Building Inspectorate agency has warned of more demolitions of sub-standard structures in the coming weeks.
The agency's chairman Moses Nyakiongora said the demolitions which have already begun in Nairobi will go on undeterred until all the “death traps” in the country are brought down.
This, Mr Nyakiongora said, is part of the efforts to put an end to the conduct where unscrupulous landlords use unlicensed engineers to put up sub-standard buildings that collapse killings people.
At least 400 substandard buildings across Nairobi are set for demolition. Already a few have been brought down in the last week alone.
Mr Nyakiongora said the agency is tired of seeing innocent Kenyans dying in such sub-standard structures.
He said any buildings that fail to meet the recommended quality and structural safety standards are on the agency’s radar and will come down in due course.
“We have already started from Nairobi and those houses are being knocked down and it will be the same everywhere,” warned Mr Nyakiongora.
He was speaking at Mobamba High School, Masaba South Sub-County in Kisii on Sunday during a prize giving ceremony.
The function was also attended by Nyaribari Masaba MP Ezekiel Machogu and Kisii County Commissioner Godfrey Kigochi.
Mr Nyakiongora said inspections of schools with storied buildings will also be done to ensure safety of structures used by the learners.
“We have already set up a team to do this. Any classes found to be sub-standard will be also knocked down,” he warned.