3 students arrested over murder of Kisumu teacher

The victim's friend says they were attacked with pangas shortly after leaving the bar.

Officers said the five Tanzanians and two Ugandans were being trafficked to Oman by Geoffrey Mutemi Manzi. PHOTO | FILE | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

Three students have been arrested for allegedly hacking a high school teacher to death in Nyakach, Kisumu county.

The suspects are two Form Four students and a university learner.


The victim, Manasseh Omarami, a 41-year-old who had been teaching at Guu Secondary School, was attacked on Wednesday night at Heraremo Bar near Nyamaroke market in Koguta.

Mr Omarami and his friends, Steve Ondon’ga and Johnson Alai, had engaged in a confrontation with the students.

Mr Alai, who is admitted at Nyabondo Mission Hospital, said they were having drinks at the pub when the students stormed in, causing a commotion. He said they were from Sondu.

"As we exchanged words with them, they told us they were untouchable. Later, the bar attendant ejected them," he said. "They came back but the attendant declined to serve them drinks. They left in protest."

Mr Omarami and his friends left the establishment at about 10 pm and were attacked a few metres from the market after their motorcycle developed mechanical problems.

"While repairing the motorcycle, we were attacked with pangas. I lost consciousness for a while. When I came to, I realised I had a deep cut in the head," said Mr Alai.


Mr Ondong'a was taken to Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital, whose CEO Peter Okoth said he was stable.

"The patient was brought last night. He was attended to at the causalities department. He has deep cuts in the head and face but he is out of danger," said Dr Okoth.

Kisumu Police Commander Job Boronjo said the teacher died at the scene of the crime.

"Investigations are ongoing ... the suspects will be arraigned soon."


Teachers have condemned the killing, with Kuppet's Kisumu Executive Secretary, Mr Zablon Awange, saying security should be heightened in Nyakach.

"We also demand that the suspects be arraigned speedily. Thorough investigations must also be done to ensure justice. Let no stone remain [unturned] in bringing the culprits to book," said Mr Awange.

Mr Omarami's body was taken to Nyabondo Mission Hospital mortuary.

More From Daily Nation
This page might use cookies if your analytics vendor requires them. Accept