alexa Schoolgirl hacked to death by boyfriend - Daily Nation

Schoolgirl hacked to death by boyfriend

Tuesday February 25 2014

Pupils from Bishop Okoth Miranga high school

Pupils from Bishop Okoth Miranga high school mourn their colleague who was hacked to death by her former boyfriend. PHOTO/JACOB OWITI 

By Nation Correspondents

A 16-year-old girl was on Monday hacked to death by her ex-boyfriend on her way to school.

The Form Three student at Bishop Okoth Miranga Secondary School was ambushed by the assailant at 6am. The incident happened at Kamolo in Kisumu County.

Witnesses said a quarrel ensued between the suspect and the student over a love affair turned sour.

The suspect, a Class Eight dropout, is said to have monitored the girl for some time on her way to school before finally pouncing on her. He cut her in the head with a panga.

Ms Emily Akinyi said: “I received a phone call from a man asking me if my sister had left for school. When I told him that she had already gone, he told me to immediately rush to a place called Arina since something tragic had happened.”

She added: “Before reaching the scene, a neighbour and my mother-in-law also called over what had befallen my sister.”

Advertisement

“I was shocked to discover that the killer was a young boy who was previously in a relationship with my sister,” said Ms Akinyi.

Called off relationship

Ms Akinyi said she had warned her sister about the young man and she called off the relationship.

The girl, she said, told the boy that she was born again and could not continue with their affair.

The boy refused to accept the girl’s decision.

The boy’s parents told the Nation that he had informed them that he would disappear but did not give any reasons for the planned action.

It was through the girl’s death that they learnt of their son’s intention.
Ms Akinyi described her sister as having been an average performer, disciplined and polite.

Her uncle, Mr Jacob Ayoo, asked the police to investigate the case and bring the culprit to book.

“We are saddened by the incident and appeal to the police to arrest the culprit, who is still at large,” said Mr Ayoo.

Area police boss Reuben Muli said they had launched a search for the suspect.

“We are appealing to residents to help us with information that will lead to the arrest of the suspect,” he said.

Advertisement