One killed as fire burns petrol container in Mokowe, Lamu

Friday April 19 2019

A petrol container burns in Lamu

A container in which petrol was stored burns at Mkowe Jetty in Lamu on April 19, 2019. One person was burnt to death. PHOTO | KALUME KAZUNGU | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

KALUME KAZUNGU
By KALUME KAZUNGU
More by this Author

A Form Three student died while a 36-year-old man was seriously injured when a container with 26 drums of petrol, each holding 500 litres, caught fire at the Mokowe Jetty, Lamu County.

Eyewitnesses said the fire that broke out at about 12.30pm on Friday was caused by a generator that was being used to pump petrol from a lorry to the container.

Mokowe Jetty Offloaders Association Chairman Mohamed Athman Yusuf said student Mohamed Farid, 16, was the son of the owner of the container.

"A lorry had come from Mombasa to Mokowe with petrol. When it was connected to the container to pump petrol into the drums, a generator normally used to run the pump produced sparks which caused the container to blow up," he said.

"The one who died was inside the container with his assistant. We tried to put out the fire but were overwhelmed,” said Mr Yusuf.

The injured man was taken to King Fahad County Hospital and the body to the mortuary there.