Police in Meru have recorded a statement from a county employee who threatened to harm a Nation journalist for writing a story perceived to be against the devolved unit.
The man, who is in his late 20s, was Tuesday seized moments after Eastern regional police boss Eunice Kihiko held a day-long meeting with county police heads.
The Media Council of Kenya had in February written a protest letter to former Inspector-General of Police Joseph Boinnet, urging him to take action following the threats.
Mr Marvin Kimathi alias Marvo Mzito is accused of writing a threatening message in December 2018 on a WhatsApp group christened “War Council”, detailing how he and others planned to harm Mr David Muchui.
In a series of messages which were shared by a whistle-blower, the man allegedly rallied his colleagues to physically harm the reporter and engage in a concerted smear campaign where they planned to edit Mr Muchui’s image to make him appear to be in a compromising or awkward situation.
OUT ON BOND
However, the accused and his colleagues did not carry out the threats after Mr Muchui recorded a statement with the police.
Mr Kimathi is out on a police bond.
Imenti North police boss Robinson Mboloi said they had already opened an inquest file and sent it to the Director of Public Prosecutions for advice.
“We have arrested him and we are seeking advice from the DPP for further action,” he said.