Woman appeals for help to trace 9-year-old son who disappeared from city estate

Tuesday February 9 2016

Ms Fatuma Shire with photo of her son, Sabir

Ms Fatuma Shire with photo of her son, Sabir Mohamed, who disappeared from Nairobi's Eastleigh 12th Street on February 7, 2016 a few days after he arrived from Garissa. She has appealed to well-wishers to help trace him. PHOTO | ABDIMALIK HAJIR | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

More by this Author

A woman from Nairobi’s Eastleigh estate is appealing for help to trace her nine-year-old son who went missing on Sunday afternoon, five days after he arrived in the city, and is yet to be found.

Fatuma Shire, a mother of three and who sells tea along Eastleigh 12th Street, is hopeful that her son, Sabir Mohamed, will be found soon.

Speaking to Nation.co.ke Tuesday, Ms Shire said Sabir was brought to Nairobi by his father who stays with their other children in Garissa.

She said the decision to bring the boy to Nairobi was reached after he insisted that he would not stay in their Garissa home without his mother. His father brought him to the city and went back home.

During the interview with Nation.co.ke Ms Shire kept receiving incessant calls from relatives and friends inquiring about the missing boy whom the mother described as obedient and always ready to follow her instruction.

Hoyo (mum) it’s time for prayers, he would say when he woke up every morning and he would not rest until he made sure I had prayed,” an emotional mother said.

She said the last time she saw him was when he came from duksi (Islamic school) and was staying with her at her place of work.

A man asked him why he was not going to school and he (Sabir) told him it was none of his business, his mother said.


She said she admonished him, telling him not to be rude to grown-ups. At that moment, the mother said, Sabir left in protest and she thought he had gone home but she did not find him in her house in the evening.

Since his disappearance, the distressed mother has been to almost all mosques in Eastleigh and reported the matter to Pangani Police Station which was recorded under OB number 51.

“We have looked for him everywhere in Eastleigh but we have not been able to locate him neither has anyone reported seeing him. I am, however, hopeful that he is still somewhere safe and he will come back home,” she added.

When he was last seen, the boy wore a light blue T-Shirt and a black pair of trousers.

Ms Shire appealed to anyone who might come across the boy to direct him to any mosque in Eastleigh or Pangani Police Station.