KeNHA demolishes 10 houses in Nakuru

Saturday February 10 2018

Houses demolished in Nakuru.

Homes demolished in Kiamunyi Estate, Nakuru County, on February 10, 2018. Kenha says they had been built on a road reserve. PHOTO | ERIC MATARA | NATION MEDIA GROUP. 

By ERIC MATARA
More by this Author

Property worth millions of shillings was on Saturday destroyed after the Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA) bulldozers demolished 10 houses in Nakuru’s Kiamunyi Estate.

KeNHA Public Relations Officer Charles Njogu told the Nation that the houses had been constructed on a road reserve.

NOTICE

"The owner of the houses encroached on a road reserve by about 10 feet. We also have in our possession filed notices to him to demolish the houses, something he has not done," he said.

Mr Njogu said the agency would not allow people to encroach on road reserves.

However, the devastated owner, Mr H N Kiriika, a civil engineer, said KeNHA did not issue any notice before the demolition.

"My houses have been demolished without any explanation. I have lost millions of shillings," he said.

LEGAL REDRESS

Tenants who rent other houses in the gated community were angered by the demolition.

Most of the houses demolished had just been completed.

Mr Kiriika said none of the houses had been marked for demolition.

He threatened to sue Kenha over the loss.

"Why should my property be destroyed without warning? I will seek legal redress," he said.