Schools in clash-torn Njoro re-open - Daily Nation

Schools re-open as calm returns to clash-torn areas

Tuesday September 18 2018

house burning during clashes at Musegekwa village

A house burnt during violence at Musegekwa Village in Eastern Mau, Nakuru County, on September 13, 2018. Schools re-opened on September 18, 2018, as calm returned to the area. PHOTO | FILE | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

By JOHN NJOROGE
More by this Author

A number of schools in clash-hit areas of Nessuit and Mauche in Njoro, Nakuru County, have re-opened as calm slowly returns to the region.

This comes after the government deployed nearly 400 police officers to calm tension and avert clashes in the area.

FEW LEARNERS

A spot check on Tuesday  revealed that most of the schools had re-opened, but a few learners reported.

At Nessuit Secondary School only 26 students reported out of 194 learners, with most classrooms remaining deserted.

In its primary wing, only 94 out of 817 pupils turned up.

However, all the teachers in the school were present.

The Nation learnt that some learners were still reluctant to report back to school for fear of fresh attacks.

POLICE PRESENT

In a number of schools which the Nation visited, two police officers could be seen manning the compounds.

Nakuru branch Kenya National Union of Teachers (Knut) executive  secretary Mungai Muhia urged the government to increase the number of police officers per institution from 2 to 10, to boost security.

“I also call upon parents to release their children to attend school  especially the candidates to enable them prepare adequately for the national examinations that kick off next month. The government has  vowed to provide enough security,” he said.

Several schools including Sigaon academy, Ogiek secondary, Ogiek primary, Tiritagoi primary, Nessuit primary and secondary, Mesibei primary and Musegekwa primary had been closed following the clashes between the Kipsigis and Ogiek communities.

By Tuesday, a heavy presence of police office was seen in the affected areas of Nessuit, Mauche, Kaprop, Kapkalang, Block Ten, Vikingi Tatu, Mariashoni, Musegekwa, Tiritagoi and Ndoswa.

CURFEW

The 6pm to 6am curfew also remains in force.

Rift Valley egional coordinator Mongo Chimwaga said the curfew will be in force for the next one week.

Some families have also returned to their homes after a wave of violence that claimed at least six lives with scores of people left nursing serious arrow injuries.

Several timber houses and business premises were torched during the clashes that rocked the areas.