Witnesses in trader murder case threatened: prosecutor

Friday February 16 2018

Suspects Gladys Wambui (the widow), Rahab Mukenye, Alex Muhonja, James Mwaura and Nicholas Mudegu at the Nakuru High Court on January 17, 2018 where they were charged with the murder of businessman Julius Kimani Mathu. PHOTO | AYUB MUIYURO | NATION MEDIA GROUP


Key witnesses in the murder case of prominent Nakuru businessman Julius Kimani were being threatened, a Nakuru court was told.

The State on Thursday requested Justice Roseline Korir to postpone the hearing of an application by the slain businessman’s widow, Ms Gladys Wambui, challenging the court’s decision denying her bond.


The State wants more time to file documents explaining the new developments.

The court heard that the key prosecution witnesses, who are employees and relatives of the suspect, were being threatened against testifying in court.

“I need at least two weeks to file and serve affidavits to demonstrate how the witnesses are being influenced against testifying in court,” said the State counsel.


But Ms Wambui, through her lawyer Wambeyi Magomere, successfully objected the request saying that the parties had been given enough time to file their evidence.

The court allowed the application for review of the court orders issued on January 30 where it had denied Ms Wambui release on bond on grounds that she would interfere with witnesses.


In the application, she defended herself saying that none of the witnesses had sworn an affidavit or reported to police about their lives being in danger.

She further argued that after thorough scrutiny she had discovered that no application had been made by the prosecution to place any of the witnesses under protection.

Ms Wambui, who is the prime suspect in the case, is accused of killing her husband Mr Kimani on December 1 while in the company of the four others – Ms Rahab Mukenye, Mr Alex Muhonja, James Mwaura and Mr Nicholas Mudegu – at Manyani Estate in Nakuru.

Ms Wambui was earlier denied bond while her four co-accused were released on Sh500,000 bond each.

The court said it would deliver its ruling on March 1.