Overnight calm in clash-torn Narok - Daily Nation

Temporary calm in Narok as warring communities warned

Tuesday September 25 2018

Olposimoru, Narok

One of the houses burnt in renewed clashes between two communities in Olposimoru, Narok County, on September 24, 2018. PHOTO | AYUB MUIYURO | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

By GEORGE SAYAGIE
More by this Author
By JOSEPH OPENDA
More by this Author

Calm temporarily returned to Olpusimoru in Narok County on Monday, following a warning that the government will not tolerate more attacks and the burning of houses by rival communities.

County Commissioner George Natembeya said a joint enforcement team is patrolling the villages of Olengape, Tegaat, Olmariko, Olpusimoru and Amalo River to ensure peace.

NO WEAPONS

Mr Natembeya warned the Maasai and Kipisigis communities against fighting and told them to make peace immediately.

He said those found will bows and arrows will be arrested.

The area was quiet on Monday evening when members of the two communities trooped back to their villages.

However, some from the Kipisigis side, who are camping at Olenguruone, said they feared returning going back due to insecurity.

Former Olpusimoru Member of County Assembly, Wilson ole Masikonte, discouraged the attacks, noting that innocent people were suffering.

Mr Masikonte thanked the government for intervening.

"We are planning a major meeting between members of both communities to seek lasting solutions to this problem that keeps recurring," he said.

NO PATIENTS

Meanwhile, the doctor in charge at Olenguruone Sub-County Hospital said nobody was admitted following the clashes on Monday night.

“We did not receive more patients from areas affected by the clashes," Dr James Waweru said on Tuesday, adding tension had been high.

Mr Franklin Osono, a resident of Olengape, said: “We did not experience any violence in the night. We hope the calm will prevail."

A Kenya Red Cross Society team is helping affected families.