5 hospitalised after eating uninspected meat - Daily Nation

Five hospitalised after eating meat from sheep carcass

Monday October 29 2018

UNINSPECTED MEAT

A sheep carcass. Official says more than 20 people ate an uninspected meat in Samburu Central. PHOTO | FILE | NATION MEDIA GROUP  

By FRANCIS MUREITHI
More by this Author

Five people from Lorrok village have been admitted to Samburu County Referral Hospital in Maralal town after eating meat from a dead sheep.

Among those who were admitted after consuming the carcass on Sunday were two children and three adults.

SYMPTOMS

Eight others have been treated and discharged. “Some had symptoms of dehydration, vomiting and diarrhoea. But the situation is under control,” a doctor at the hospital said.

Three lactating mothers were among those received at the hospital in serious condition.

Ms Joran Leparmorijo, a victim, said she developed severe stomach pains after eating the meat.

The area Nyumba Kumi Initiative Chairman Solomon Wanyeki said more than 20 people ate the uninspected meat.

DIRECTIVE

"The owner had been directed to bury the carcass of the sheep that died from an unknown disease, he but ignored the directive," he said.

Mr Wanyeki said some of the villagers who consumed the meat did not seek medical attention.

He cautioned residents against eating meat that is not inspected by a public health officer.