alexa Eight parents arrested for not sending children to Form One - Daily Nation

Eight parents arrested for not sending children to Form One

Tuesday February 12 2019

Form One admission

Local administrators and education stakeholders from Mombasa County during the launch of the last mile Form One admission campaign at Sheikh Khalifa Secondary School on February 11, 2019. PHOTO | WACHIRA MWANGI | NATION MEDIA GORUP 

STEPHEN ODUOR
By STEPHEN ODUOR
More by this Author
LUCY MKANYIKA
By LUCY MKANYIKA
More by this Author

Eight parents were on Tuesday arrested in Taita Taveta County for failing to take their children to Form One.

This came after County Education Director Elyas Abdi directed the police to apprehend parents whose children had not joined secondary school.

Some parents, however, told the Nation that they could not send their children to school due to lack of fees.  

PRISON GATES

“When we open a school we close prison gates, we must take all our children to school, education promotes sound morals and values,” said Mr Abdi.

He added: “Every child is entitled to free and basic education.”

Coast Regional Education Coordinator Hassan Duale said that Changamwe sub county had recorded the highest transition to secondary schools at 106 per cent.

Sub counties with high transition include Changamwe, Nyali 110 and Ganze at 102 per cent.

“We have to account for 85, 551 candidates who sat last year’s KCPE exams to achieve the 100 per cent transition,” Mr Duale said.

He also called for readmission of teenagers who gave birth during last year’s KCPE exams.

Voi OCPD Joseph Chesire said the crackdown would continue until all children are enrolled in school.

“We are pursuing some 52 parents who have not complied with the government's directive.”    

FORCED MARRIAGES

Meanwhile, panic gripped Tana River County on Tuesday after chiefs intensified their search for last year’s KCPE examinations candidates who are yet to join Form One.

Some parents were forced to flee as the exercise, which seeks to ensure 100 per cent transition from primary to secondary schools, continued.

In an interview with Nation, Kone-Mansa Chief Issa Ware said some parents, especially men, had fled their homes.  

"Some parents had lined up their daughters for marriage and on learning that we had intensified the crackdown, they fled,” Mr Ware said.

He said that his team had on Monday arrested a couple for marrying off their 15-year-old daughter.  

He said after receiving dowry, the girl’s father is alleged to have arranged his daughter’s abduction as she fetched firewood.   

GIRL RESCUED

"We rescued the girl and arrested the parents who will appear in court tomorrow (Wednesday). We are still pursuing the suspect,” he said.

Mr Ware said five weddings lined up for this month had been called off. He, however, said that a few parents had sought help from his office to enroll their daughters in school. 

"Some parents do not have money to send their children to secondary school, we are asking well-wishers to come to the rescue of these needy girls," he said.

In other areas, it was reported that most parents had enrolled their children in school to escape arrest.   

DAY SCHOOLS

Kibuyu Chief Victoria Jillo said more than 10 children had been enrolled in local day schools since the crackdown began.

She added that some parents had fled their homes with their pregnant daughters. 

In Tana Delta, police are still looking for a 37-year-old Odole Primary School official who is alleged to have married and defiled a minor.

Tana River County Commissioner Oning'oi Olesosio has advised parents to enroll their children in school or face arrest.  

Tana River County is one of the counties with poor student enrolment.

Advertisement