One person has died, and eight others received treatment of suspected anthrax at the Chuka County Referral Hospital in Tharaka-Nithi County.
The patients and the victim, who come from Mubukuro village, are said to have come into contact with meat of a sick cow.
Speaking to journalists from his hospital bed, Fredrik Gitonga said he was called by the owner of the cow two weeks ago after the animal fell sick and together with the victim slaughtered it.
“The animal was almost dying when we slaughtered it,” said Mr Gitonga.
He said they hanged the meat in a house and the following day called a veterinary officer who after inspecting the meat advised them to bury it.
Mr Gitonga noted that after four days he started developing a swell on his left eye and went to hospital where was admitted.
County Health director Dr Tony Njoka said the man who died admitted to hospital on Monday with severe headache and loss of consciousness.
But he said the hospital is yet to confirm if he died of anthrax.
County chief officer in charge of medical services Mr Kimathi Njeru said a team of veterinary and public health officers have already visited the village for further investigation and public sensitisation.
“We have disinfected the area and advised the locals to report any case of a sick animal and avoid eating uninspected meat,” he said.