Contractors working on Chuka-Kaare and Chogoria-Kiriani roads are set to lose plum tenders after Deputy President (DP) William Ruto ordered revocation of their contracts.
DP Ruto accused the contractors of laxity for failing to comply with construction timelines.
“I direct the ministry concerned to cancel with immediate effect contracts of the two roads and award them to contractors who are ready to work,” Mr Ruto ordered the Roads ministry.
Mr Ruto, who was speaking in Chuka town on Saturday, said work on Chuka-Kaare road started three years ago should have been completed in one year but only 3km had been tarmacked so far.
He said work on the Chogoria-Kiriani road was started two years ago and was also expected to be complete in one year but potholes have already developed in the 1km that has been paved.
Mr Ruto said the government will not tolerate lazy contractors and shoddy workmanship.
“There must be value for public funds and government will only work with contractors who are ready to deliver within the agreed time and do excellent work,” he said.
Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria, who is also the chairperson of the National Assembly’s roads committee said the team will assess the ongoing works and make recommendations of cancelation of contracts given to lazy contractors.
“As committee, we will evaluate and recommend cancelation of all contracts given to lazy contractors in order to make sure that Kenyans get services in the right time,” said Mr Kuria.
Mr Ruto also announced construction of Sh2 billion sewage system in Chuka and Chogoria towns at a cost of Sh1 billion each.
He said tendering process has been completed and tenders will be opened on July 7, 2018 to determine the winners.