A fire destroyed a dormitory at Tharaka Boys' High School on Thursday, leaving about 100 students with nowhere to sleep.
Marimanti police station commander (OCS) Mr Robert Masila said no injuries were reported but that all the property in the facility went up in flames.
Kamatungu chief Muriuki Makunyi told reporters that school worker John Muthuri said a wielding machine caused the fire at about 6pm.
"A worker who had been repairing a widow in the dormitory said sparks from the machine [landed on a mattress, causing the fire] that spread to the whole house," said Mr Makunyi.
He said the entire facility had been engulfed by the time fire fighters arrived.
Mr Nicholas Mutegi, a parent, was concerned that the incident would disrupt learning upon the students' return on Monday as they lost everything.