Four people were on Sunday evening injured in a church fire in Maara in Tharaka-Nithi.
Pastor Loyford Nkonge of Kanyambo Redeemed Gospel Church, two women and one child were injured when the fire broke out around 6pm.
Alex Mugambi, county emergency rescue team coordinator, said the four sustained burns on their faces and hands as they escaped from the church, which had already been engulfed in flames. He said they were rushed to hospital and are receiving treatment.
Rescuers managed to put out the fire before it spread to neighbouring houses but nothing was salvaged.
The cause of the fire could not be immediately established but it is suspected that an electrical fault could have started it.
Jane Kathomi, a resident, said the fire started at the church’s store, which had mattresses and other items.
"Someone shouted ‘fire’ as we were concluding counting the day's tithe and offering only to realise that one part of the church had been engulfed by the fire," said Ms Kathoni.